Thursday, June 2, 2016

O! Thank heaven: Week 7

Assignment 1: I really enjoyed this flowchart. I have not read The Hunger Games so if a customer were to ask me what to read next this would be of great assistance. The sense of humor of whomever wrote this is also right up my alley. Maybe we should organize the Teen section by variety of apocalypse?


Assignment 2: The first article I chose to read was "Who's buying teen books? Lots and lots of adults" by Molly Driscoll. I have seen time and again that there are no shortage of adults who like to read from the Teen section. I'm inclined to agree with her speculation that "...part of the appeal may be that young adult books are sometimes written in a less complicated fashion than adult books and may offer more of a literary escape..." After a long day or week, escaping with a book, TV show, or movie makes perfect sense.  I wonder if it also has to do with the fact that these aren't the classic. These books are newer and nobody is telling me to read them. People aren't usually as enthusiastic about doing things when they do it out of obligation.


The second article I read was "New Adult: Needless Marketing-Speak Or Valued Subgenre?" by Rachel Deahl. My first thought was to wonder if the content of this article was still relevant since it is 3 1/2 years old. A quick search on Goodreads for "New Adult" confirmed that designation for a subgenre was still in use and revealed several Romance-sounding titles like Falling Hard and Fifty First Times. This made sense when I read Margo Lipschultz's perspective in the article, "there is more going on with the term [New Adult] than marketing, and that the category is filling a hole, especially in the romance genre." This isn't a genre I read but, her contention holds up.
Assignment 3: I have decided to follow Teenreads and Forever Young Adult. I signed up to receive emails from them, which will hopefully encourage me to make more observations.
Assignment 4: I chose to look at Harlequin Teens. The section specifically for teens in not expansive but has a few worthy features. Being able to sort by newest to oldest or by series would be useful to regular readers of this genre. Upcoming books as far out as July 2017 could really start a buzz. The most recognizable trend here seems to be romance with racy covers.
Then I took at look Teens@Random. This site appears to cater more towards teens seeking action titles. Eragon, Maze Runner, and books with comparable titles/covers. These are the kind of titles that typically occupy the end cap of Pikesville's Teen section that is geared towards boys. Something I do like about the site is the Author Spotlight because I'm always curious to learn more about an author.

2 comments:

  1. I like your comment about arranging the teen area by variety of apocalypse....and also the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete