Thursday, June 23, 2016

No More Bookish

Book trailers? Alright, sure. Although, I agree with Nick Davis that they shouldn't be called "book trailers." It seems to me, from the linked videos in the two articles we read, that they fall into two categories. First, there's the cheesy and fun. However, I can't help but feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke since I'm unfamiliar with the book. Second, there are the kind that are the author describing their own book in a way that only they can. I prefer the second kind. Whether it's Thomas Pynchon's unique voice, which his fans probably love, or  Jeannette Walls discussing her motivation for writing a book, I find it much more meaningful to hear it from the horse's mouth. Better to go to the primary source than learn about the book through the lens of a third party's interpretation.


What I really want to know is if devout bibliophiles watch these. They have hundreds of thousands or millions of views so somebody is watching them. It just strikes me as a very niche thing that will likely only be seen by people who are already going to read that book anyway. Of the handful I watched, I do not think they are great reader's advisory tools. What I did get out of them were a few general plot themes and the overall tone. That is of course assuming the trailer provides an accurate depiction of these things.




Well, I guess that's it. Be More Bookish is no more. Overall, I think the program is useful. It exposed me to several things that, as a newly minted librarian, I had no idea existed. All kinds of genres and subgenres that I hope to remember at least a few of. The program also had useful parameters by which to describe books. I might struggle to remember them all but the eight elements of appeal will always be floating around in my head when speaking to a customer about a title.
  • Pacing
  • Characterization
  • Story Line (including the books context, type, genre, theme, and subjects)
  • Language
  • Setting
  • Detail
  • Tone
  • Learning/Experiencing
Until next time, fellow bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment