Thursday, May 12, 2016

Week Four Bookish

Does anybody else have the hardest time trying to remember the books they've read? I feel like it takes me an inordinately long amount of time. Anyway, I made myself a shiny new Goodreads account. As I went through my favorite books and authors I picked up momentum and started to realize all the books I read are kind of similar. I apparently like to read dark, serious books and nonfiction, which is vaguely depressing. See for yourself here! Perhaps I'll try to read some more upbeat titles. I welcome recommendations.






Rebecca is the first person I found on Goodreads so I'll subject her to a recommendation:
Since you read Y and The Walking Dead, which are apocalyptic in nature, I'll recommend this I am Legend by Richard Matheson. In this novel, protagonist Robert Neville is on his own against what are described as "vampires." However, they aren't just bloodthirsty beasts (like in the movie). They're intelligent and they verbally taunt Robert. I'm not sure I would even call it an apocalypse since the vampires seem to be organized. Maybe we can call it a regime change?


The pace of the book is slow but well written. The tone is creepy and will give you some chills. Roberts point of view makes for a very claustrophobic narrative. I recommend reading in the dark, when you're alone, and there's a thunder storm!


The main character is a flawed man. Robert tries to find a cure but he's no doctor. He uses alcohol to cope and brute force against the vampires when possible. He's clearly in over his head and seeing how he deals with that is interesting.




And since Kayla is my second Goodreads friend she will also be subjected to a recommendation. For her, The Gunslinger by Stephen King:
Since you appear to enjoy some fantasy titles I'm going to recommend the first book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. This story could be described as wild west meets Lord of the Rings. It's pacing is generally slow, which I think adds to its western feeling. The book is almost completely focused on the main character, Roland. King develops this character but leaves enough mystery in his backstory and the world around him to keep the reader interested.


The setting is meticulously described by King and, I think, very important to understanding Roland. It is well written with attention to detail required to create an entire fantasy world that runs parallel to our own. It's tone is dark and ominous (evidently like everything I like to read). And just think, if you like it there's 6 more books to read!



2 comments:

  1. I am entranced with the name of your blog. I just love it so much.

    I'm glad Goodreads fills a niche for you! I've lapsed on my diligence, but every few months, I add all the books from my BCPL reading list to my GoodReads shelves. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured, "Why not have a little fun with it?" It continues to amuse me as well.

      Delete