Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week One Assignment

Assignment 1: I've never considered myself much a reader. Not that I don't like it but, I rarely have the time or patience to finish a book. That said, I am pleased by how well I did on these tests. Disclaimer: I may have had a tiny bit of assistance. I got 17/24 of the adult covers right. I got 14/20 of the children's cover, which I was pretty pleased with myself about. I often say things like, "I'm an adult. I don't read kids books, watch kids movies, etc." So I'm pleased I was able to get as many as I did.
Assignment 2: For me, the challenge with guessing the genre titles was that I had never heard of many of these. Most of it seemed fairly common sense. That and the multiple choice helped narrow it down.
Assignment 3: Great points from these golden rules. Every time I walk into my branch I think to myself "I should read more!" I sincerely hope reading more and this blogging process will help with my reader's advisory. I'm much more comfortable recommending books in genres I like so I'm hoping this will expand my horizons.
Assignment 4: From recommended links-books I chose Salon Books because it is a site I had not checked out before. From recommended links-genre I chose Mystery Readers International. I chose this genre because mystery is a genre that I typically think is lame. So in the spirit of learning something new, I'll force myself to read something different.
Assignment 5: The 6 year olds' judging of books by their covers was adorable. However, I feel like an argument could be made for many of her summaries...

2 comments:

  1. Good point about expanding your horizons! I find that talking with my colleagues usually adds ammo to my readers' advisory arsenal. I may not love Oiled Highlander Romances, but Gerald X does, so now I can recommend with the best of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I'd be completely lost without them!

      Delete